Friday, October 31, 2008

???

How long does it take a penny to be digested and go through your system? Anyone know? Well, hopefully I can let you know soon. Wednesday night we were eating dinner and all of the sudden Natalie started coughing and then started crying. We didn't know what was wrong. She said that her mouth hurt and that she swallowed money. We had been sitting at the dinner table for at least 5 minutes and hadn't seen any coins. So we weren't sure if that's what really happened. But she was really traumatized by it so I checked the internet (everything on the internet is true, right?) and found out that pennies and batteries are 2 things you need to worry about if swallowed because of the zinc in pennies made before 1982 and the possibility of it getting wedged in the esophagus. So we took her to urgent care and got x-rays taken. Sure enough, there was a very obvious round object in her stomach. The doctor said to give her prune juice and check her diapers for the penny to pass and that if we haven't seen it pass after a week we need to bring her in again to get more x-rays to see if it's passed. Since I'm with her all day I have the privilege of checking her poopy diapers for the penny. Let me just say that it wouldn't be something I would really want to do anyway, but being pregnant makes it 100 times worse. Each time I've had to check I've almost thrown up. Pregnancy+checking poop= not a good combination!

6 comments:

J said...

Yeah so funny thing... I swallowed a penny when I was about Natalie's age too!! Hahahaha! I believe the story I've been told ends with the penny passing after about a week! Good luck with that! (my mom said when it came out it was the shiniest penny she had ever seen!!!!!:)

Jenny said...

The official name for the time it takes from in-one-end, out-the-other is "Transit time." You'll have to put the penny in her baby book- it will be funny when she's older.
That's too bad to be pregnant and having to do that dirty work!

Doug said...

When you get to be very old and living with your daughter, be sure and swallow a penny so she can do the same for you!

Anonymous said...

We had a 13 yr old come into the clinic one time because he swallowed a quarter. You should save her diapers for Adam, he used to milk cows he is used to smelling poop.

Jessica said...

I hope you find that penny sooner rather than later! Yuck!

Sarah said...

Adam,

Lauren swallowed one of those magnet toys at mom's over the summer. I didn't even realize that she'd done it until I was changing her diaper. I really grossed Paul out when I told him I just washed it and put it back with the others! :)