Friday, September 5, 2008

Potty Training- Ahh!!!



Adam and I have really wanted to potty train Natalie for the last few months. Unfortunately she has no desire to. She likes to sit on her potty and read books. Or move it around the house and use it as a step stool for turning lights on and off or to get to things that were out of her reach before. It's her new independence. And not in the way we had hoped! Today I decided to put her "big girl" underwear on and told her that she needed to let me know when she needed to go to the potty. She was doing fine for a while then all of the sudden she says "ah-oh". I look down and the carpet is wet with urine. Yuck! I've decided that she's just not interested yet. We've tried to bribe her with treats and stuff and that hasn't worked. We've told her about her friends and cousins who use the potty and that hasn't seemed to help either. I think I'm just not going to force it and let her show me when she's ready. But any advice would be appreciated. I was hoping that potty training would be as easy as getting rid of her binky. No such luck!

5 comments:

Clarissa Meegan said...

Oh the joys of potty training! I think you are very smart to just let her show you when she's ready. That is the only thing that worked for Gracie. Now I need some binki weaning advice! Any suggestions?

Jennifer said...

Yes, potty training is not my favorite. However, I resorted to the permanent potty sit method, out of desperation, and it seemed to work pretty well. :) Although, I do recommend not forcing the issue, or they just might hold it in for days and get a stomach ache. In which case, cherry juice comes in very handy. I also noticed that timers were helpful. Too many reminders seemed to encourage rebellion though. All in all, it's a very tricky undertaking, but highly worth it when you consider the benefits of no more diapers! Best of luck!

Dustin, Joni & Brighton said...

Go Natalie! We're all rooting for you! Good Luck Adam & Krysta!

April said...

Oh i'm sorry to say but I think its the worst thing I hate about parenting. I say wait for sure if she isn't interested because it will make it harder on you and her. But leave it out and just offer at times, like before bath or when she wakes up. With Hudson the thing that worked wonders was this potty watch you can get it at kid to kid or online, just put in potty watch, it sings a song to them and then they know its time to go or try. Makes the parent not such a nag. Good luck. She's cute though.

Jennifer said...

Hi again Krysta! I tagged you on my blog! Come check it out!